The annual conference of the Section on Archives of Universities and Research Institutions of the International Council on Archives will be held in Montreal, Canada, on the 5th September 2022 (TBC), to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Section.
The theme of the conference will be COMMEMORATION AND ARCHIVES IN UNIVERSITIES AND RESEARCH INSTITUTIONS – Papers are invited to discuss:
- the goals and objectives of commemoration
- the place and role of universities in the development of archival science and its methods in relation to commemoration
- the role of the archivist and his or her place as a participant or stakeholder in the process of implementing commemoration
- the place of commemoration in archival functions, is it different for digital archives than for analog archives?
- inclusion and diversity in commemoration
- the need to access archives in order to commemorate
- neutrality, activism and commemoration.
- types of approaches to commemoration, based on trauma, marginalized people, etc.
- issues for commemoration in a digitally transformed world
Papers are likely to be 20 minutes long, and should be analytical, rather than purely descriptive. The conference will be hybrid, online and onsite, and participants can choose English or French as the paper’s language.