The British School at Athens is very happy to host annually a Library/Archive intern.
They are seeking an organised and highly-motivated graduate of a UK HEI to provide support for library services and the digitisation of their corporate and collections data. This position is full time October – July, working 0.5 FTE with the Senior Librarian to assist in the smooth running of the library, and 0.5 FTE with the Archivist to curate data in the BSA’s linked databases.
This internship will be paid at the living wage rate for Greece.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To contribute to the smooth running of the library, including providing reader services, handling enquiries, and shelving.
- To assist with classifying new books, and adding relevant data to the catalogue database.
- To support collection processing in the archives, including producing inventory lists, cataloguing, creating finding-aids and undertaking in-house preservation of materials.
- To convert analogue finding aids into digital ones, and to migrate and curate data in line with ISAD (G) standards in Collection Management Software, EMu (Electronic Museum Management System-Axiell ALM).
- To organise and deliver selected items for digitisation, scanning in-house where appropriate.
- To contribute towards the promotion of BSA collections, helping to produce blogposts and exhibitions drawing on BSA material.
The successful candidate will have graduated from a UK HEI with at least an undergraduate degree in a subject concerned with the mission statement of the BSA. They will be highly motivated and enthusiastic with excellent interpersonal and organisational skills, the ability to work independently and in teams, and they will have an interest in the scholarly work conducted and facilitated by the BSA.
This position would be ideal for a graduate seeking practical experience working in libraries and archives (e.g. as a prerequisite in applying for a postgraduate library/archive training course), or for a graduate with a strong interest in Greek cultural heritage looking for some
hands-on experience -based in Athens- before pursuing further academic study.
The closing date for applications is Friday 9th July. Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed by teleconferencing on Wednesday 21st July.
For more information on how to apply, please follow link: https://www.bsa.ac.uk/join-us-2/volunteers-and-interns/library-archive-intern/